News & Archives
Jan 23, 2008
Stillwater Public Library, Stillwater, MN - The Stillwater Public Library was established in 1897. The original building was constructed in 1902, on the current site, with funds provided by the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. In March 2005, the City Council formally approved a resolution to provide City funds of $5 million towards a library renovation/expansion project, and authorized the Library Board to proceed. Matching funds to complete the project came from the generous support of area foundations, corporations, and individuals in the Stillwater area community. Conrad Schmitt Studios was chosen to restore the historic entry rotunda and wing rooms. The aged structure required fiberglass wall stabilization to deter future surface cracks before the decorative schemes were applied. Once painted white, the rotunda columns are now graced by faux marble decoration and the upper Gothic tablature is glazed and gold gilded to match the tile floor.