News & Archives
Aug 11, 2008
Ottawa County Courthouse, Port Clinton, OH - CSS completed the conservation of four murals in the courthouse dome, originally painted in 1908 by William Smith. The murals were first examined to determine the original decorative scheme. The varnish, which was heavily applied and yellowed, was spot cleaned. After cleaning, a conservator's varnish was applied to create a barrier between old and new, and conservator paints were used to touch up failed paint. A gloss varnish was applied to achieve the proper sheen, as well as a reversible varnish for conservation efforts in the future. Today, the murals help tell the story of four historically important industries in the region. The entire process proved very effective and, according to Judge Paul Moon, was "successful beyond their wildest expectations."