2008 PIPP Award for St. James Restoration, Louisville, KY
Jan 28, 2008
The restoration of the beautiful St. James Catholic Church, Louisville, KY, which was designed by prominent church architect, James J. Gaffney in 1912 and was originally decorated by the Conrad Schmitt Studios in 1927, has won the 2008 award for "Restoration Interior Commercial" from The Painting and Decorating Contractors of America (Picture It Painted Professionally Award). To restore the scheme with historic accuracy, a comprehensive investigative study determined the original decorative elements and colors used in the 1927 scheme, including 26 paint colors, 7 glaze colors, 3 types of metal leaf, a faux mosaic dome ceiling and extensive trompe l'oeil stencils.
After the investigation, Studio artists proceeded with the creation of an onsite decorative sample. This sample helped to propel a fundraising campaign that allowed the parish to make the transformation of the interior a reality. The project was completed in seven months, allowing the parish to celebrate their 100th anniversary in the glory and tradition of their original worship space.